QuikTrip, Wawa and Sheetz are the Top U.S. Convenience Retailers in dunnhumby’s Retailer Preference Index
- Size really does matters. The biggest difference in convenience store retailers from those at the top and bottom of the ranking is size. Smaller regional retailers outperform most of the national retailers by better adapting to the evolving needs of their customers.
- Focusing on fresh, healthy and ready-to-eat items are the biggest differentiators for top performing retailers. The top four convenience retailer in the RPI – Quik Trip, Wawa, Sheetz and KwikTrip – have made foodservice a priority and a key differentiator from other convenience stores. But by also focusing on fresh, they are positioning themselves to be able to steal trips from supermarkets and quick service restaurants.
- Cross-shopping is on the rise between the convenience, grocery, dollar, drug, and quick-serve restaurant channels. Nearly seven out of 10 convenience customers regularly shop each of the other channels each month. Category differences appear to somewhat buffer convenience from drug and the growing dollar channels.
- The best performing retailers are excellent in retail basics. To be successful, retailers need to start by getting the retail basics, like quality and store experience, right first; then develop ready-to-eat and fresh areas; and finally, utilize digital and rewards to share and amplify store improvements.
- Store count and convenient locations are still relevant. Share of visit and consumer awareness data shows minimal difference between the top and bottom retailers. But, the strength of the customer emotional connection, ability to convert awareness into purchase, along with key financial measures suggest that even though store counts capture visits today, high store numbers are not enough for superior growth.
dunnhumby is the global leader in Customer Data Science, empowering businesses everywhere to compete and thrive in the modern data-driven economy. We always put the Customer First.
Our mission: to enable businesses to grow and reimagine themselves by becoming advocates and champions for their Customers. With deep heritage and expertise in retail – one of the world’s most competitive markets, with a deluge of multi-dimensional data – dunnhumby today enables businesses all over the world, across industries, to be Customer First.
The dunnhumby Customer Data Science Platform is our unique mix of technology, software and consulting, enabling businesses to increase revenue and profits by delivering exceptional experiences for their Customers – in-store, offline and online. dunnhumby employs over 2,000 experts in offices throughout Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas working for transformative, iconic brands such as Tesco, Coca-Cola, Meijer, Procter & Gamble, L’Oréal.