Tesco launches the UK’s largest closed loop grocery Media and Insight platform, powered by dunnhumby
- Tesco brings together a suite of products across online and in-store media and customer insights, to create better engagement with customers and deliver a more personalised offer
- Huge opportunity for brands to reach customers at scale with closed-loop measurement
- Powered by data science leaders dunnhumby, the platform will allow brands to understand customers like never before and deliver a richer customer experience
London, 30 November 2021 | Tesco today launches ‘Tesco Media and Insight, powered by dunnhumby’, a new platform to help suppliers and agencies engage more effectively with customers and understand their evolving needs.
Bringing together Tesco’s extensive understanding of its customers, through Tesco Clubcard and instore insights, with dunnhumby’s leading data science expertise, this closed loop platform will provide brands and their agencies with the right insight to drive more interactive, two-way relationships with customers, helping brands build stronger connections with their customer base and build loyalty for both suppliers and Tesco.
A unique scale
Tesco has one of the leading digital retail platforms in the UK. The combination of Tesco Clubcard – used by more than 20 million households in the UK alone – with its nearly seven million regular app users, and dunnhumby’s analytical expertise, creates a powerful digital capability. Tesco Media and Insight will work with brands and agencies to share actionable insight, bespoke to their brand and customer base, to help drive better customer engagement and brand propositions.
The media opportunity
Tesco’s weekly media reach rivals some of the biggest online platforms and this new platform will offer a range of targeting options that mean brands can connect with customers more effectively. There are five products across Media to suit all needs, from one-to-one personalisation through to broader mass reach campaigns.
The closed loop measurement tools allow brands to see the true return on spend, with an average ROAS of £6.60 with Tesco Media, compared to an average of £3.80 on other channels1.
Tesco Media and Insight is powered by dunnhumby, which has developed world-leading data science over 30 years to help retailers understand customer behaviour, increase loyalty, and acquire new customers. Three products across Insight will help brands access relevant and comprehensive insights that can inform new product development, packaging, ranging and campaign effectiveness. This will help Tesco’s partner brands to innovate at speed, ultimately meaning better products and an improved customer shopping experience.
Alessandra Bellini, Tesco Chief Customer Officer, says: “As the UK grocery sector evolves, we want to ensure we provide a more relevant and personalised offer to meet our customers’ changing needs. Our new platform will bring together the wealth of customer knowledge we have, with the insights from dunnhumby, and use it in a way that helps our brands to be more efficient and targeted and ultimately to serve our customers better. We’re excited to work with our suppliers and agencies to drive better engagement with customers and add value to their businesses.”
Dan Hodgkiss, Managing Director (Tesco UK), dunnhumby, says: “This new platform we’ve built with Tesco combines the scale of their customer base and the world-leading data science of dunnhumby to create a powerful closed-loop system, bringing brands closer than ever to their customers to provide unparalleled opportunities.”
Brands and agencies can find out more about the Tesco Media and Insights Platform by visiting https://www.dunnhumby.com/tesco-media-insight-platform/
The new platform includes a suite of products including:
- Onsite: Targeted display & sponsored product advertising solutions.
- Connected Store: Building out a connected store experience for brands to target customers across their journey through the Tesco store network e.g. Tesco Radio.
- Partners: Enables advertisers to use powerful first party data to target key audiences away from a Retailer’s digital store. Providing access to a wide network of brand safe networks.
- Experience: Customer led propositions that allow greater brand creativity and positioning e.g. Experiential and Brand integration (Food Love Stories).
- CRM: Delivers highly relevant rewards that are fine tuned to a shopper’s specific circumstances with our data science.
- Category Development: A self-serve platform providing the ability to understand your products, customers and sales through existing and new insight solutions.
- Precision Innovation: Support brands to create, launch & measure NPD at every stage of the development cycle with unprecedented speed and scale.
- Media Measurement: The ability to conduct comprehensive evaluation of 3rd party media campaigns through data matching, inclusive of Walled Garden Platforms.
1Source: dunnhumby, Multi channel media campaign measurement, 3 weeks post period